Wednesday, June 11, 2008

From the city to the suburbs

So, this is where I live:
The lovely and wonderful Houston, Texas. Home of BBQ lovers, sports fans, homeless dudes, lots of illegal aliens and Beyonce. To be more specific, I live in an artsy little neighborhood inside the loop where the houses look like this:







And people drive scooters and art cars around. Behind my house is a wonderful BYOB restaurant that serves some of the best burgers I've ever had in my life, within a 5 minute walk to boot. The reason I love this neighborhood so much (other than the burgers) is mainly because of its history. Its been around since 1891 and its full of character. And coffee shops. And restaurants not owned by Pappas. However, I have a 4 year old daughter and while the culture is good for her, the school districts are not. So much like a Beverly Hillbillies episode in reverse, we are packing up and moving out of the city into the suburbs:

Where I'll have my pick of Wal-Mart or Super-Walmart, Target or Super-Target and I wont be more than 2 miles from a Starbucks at any given moment. I know this, because I once called it home. Thats right. I'm originally a 'burb girl. The only plus to moving back (oh yeah, the schools, too, yeah yeah) is that most of my friends and all of my family live out there. And since it takes $70 to fill up a fucking 4 cylinder gas tank now, this is a big plus. Living here has taught me a few things, and mainly: You can take the girl out of the burbs, and you can damn well take the burbs out of her, as well. I plan to keep it that way.

No comments: